Saturday, July 14, 2012

Short Takes Chicago: Harry the Dirty Dog

Harry the Dirty Dog
Author:  Gene Zion
Illustrator: Margaret Bloy Graham
Harper Collins (1956)





Just back from a week long trip to Chicago.  I tend to define my trips by the books that I find along the way.  I'd have to say that Chicago was a roaring success.   This trip led me to my sister's attic and a book shelf filled with books belonging to my nieces and nephews (now teenagers).   How fun it was to sit with Mirette under the foos ball table (which happened to be pushed alongside the book shelf), ignoring the intense heat, covered in books from head to toe--so many great discoveries.   This was followed by a stint at my friend Stephie's house, dominated by princess books, but also some excellent discoveries. 

Join me for some short takes on the books we discovered while in Chicago.    You are in for a fine ride!

The Harry series is a blast from my past--what sweet memories and how weird that I had forgotten all about this wonderful simple book.  The plot is very similar to Dandelion:   Harry gets dirty and his family doesn't recognize him.   Harry is so adorable and mischievous.   (He is now up there with Biscuit, Spot, and Fergus in Mirette's list of favorite dogs).

Not much out there on Gene Zion.   After  he wrote the Harry series and his wife illustrated it (so many husband/wife teams in this field), they got divorced in 1968.  He never wrote another book.   And then he died in 1975.


His ex-wife went on to illustrate many other books!





No comments:

Post a Comment